Monday, July 14, 2008

Questions people always ask

At Caravan-Serai Tours we get a lot of questions about our tours and the region we go to. One of the questions we get a lot of is "how safe is it over there?". I know the first time I traveled to the Middle East (I went to Syria for 2 months about 10 years ago) I had a lot of people ask me why I would do such a thing and wasn't I scared? The short answer was that I found the region extremely fascinating and I was not scared because I had learned enough to know that there really was no danger in me going to Syria. I could have been in more danger visiting New York City or Washington, DC, or some other major US city. The hazards that we face here at home on the highway, walking down the sidewalk, being out alone after dark in certain neighborhoods, etc... are as prevelant or worse than what you might face anywhere else in the world. And in countries like Syria, you are actually very safe - just be careful crossing a busy street! The crime rate is very low in Syria and at no time did I ever feel threatened. Our past clients also remark on how safe they felt during their travels - visit our website at http://www.caravan-serai.com/ and click on "Testamonials".

Just about any country in the world has places considered unsafe, places to avoid due to crime, gangs, drugs, etc, just as we do here in the US. But know that at Caravan-Serai Tours, we are up to date on any issues that might affect a country we are to visit or have clients visiting, we have the ability to reroute your tour to avoid any problems should they develop, and we are in constant communication with our in-country coordinators and our clients during the tour. Your safety is of utmost importance to us.

The bottom line is, if you worry too much about what can happen to you when you travel, pretty soon you won't even want to leave your house! Travel is an adventure and a great experience that should be embraced, not shied away from because you are worried something might happen. Get out and see the world- it's amazing!